1.7.11

Review ][ Divergent

Title ][ Divergent
Author ][ Veronica Roth
Chapters (Summary) ][ link
Rating ][

This book was A-MAZE-ING! I read it in 7 hours straight. Okay, that's not quite true because I took an 8 hour sleep break in the middle but at 2 a.m. I figured it was time to put the book down.

As you can tell, I really loved this book. The whole thing was really fast paced but I never felt like I was missing anything. And on top of that, Roth expertly weaves in undertones of rebellion and what is happening in Tris' (the main character) world while following the main plot line of Tris' training, which is happening in an underground cave. Quite the accomplishment considering where Tris' is trapped and that she isn't really in the middle of all the changes until the end of the book. However, the reader still gets the sense that the society has reached it's breaking point.

Now I have to rave about Tris' world a bit. The whole story takes place in a dystopian Chicago, and the entire population is divided into five factions depending on the trait they value the most. There is Abnegation (selflessness), Erudite (intelligence), Amity (peacefulness), Candor (honesty), and Dauntless (courage). Guess which one yours truly, the book-lover and straight-A student, would choose? Anyways, I found the whole societal structure really unique and, unlike other dystopian novels I've read, it seems to work. After all it's not a flaw in the system, but the darker side of human nature which brings the government down in the end.

On top of everything else in this novel, there was romance as well. However, it wasn't the instantly-fall-in-love-with-a-guy kind, and there were no love triangle. I actually loved how slowly Tris' relationship developed because the two character really spent time getting to know each other and it was sweet. I'll admit I fell in love with Tris' boyfriend as well and he's my new fictional crush. X3 Just kidding, but I seriously did love the romance in this novel, and it was pretty clean as well.

Why five kernels? This book was really well written and fast paced. It was really hard to find a spot where I could put it down because there was always something going on that I wanted to read about. Divergent also seems to have everything, from clapsing dystopian societies, to warrior-like training that reminded me of Tamora Pierce's or Diana Peterfruend's books, to romance, to humor, and pretty much everything in between. It's a must read, especially if you enjoyed The Hunger Games.

And I seriously can't wait for the next one because the end was... well... not where I expected the book to end.

][ Midelaye


No comments:

Post a Comment